Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Albums that are likely very good but I never got around to listening to

Ok, I admit that my half-cocked “Nine for 2009” list might not be what you'd call “comprehensive.” In fact it’s really not even close. It would be more aptly called “Nine Albums That Represent The Best Of The Music That Happened To Find Its Way Into My I-Pod in the Last Year.” But that’s kind of wordy, so we’ll stick with “Nine for 2009.”

The truth is that there's a pretty good chance some excellent albums that should have made the list were left off due to no fault of their own. I would hate to deny these talented bands the sense of accomplishment and adulation of the loyal readers of this blog (all five of you). In an effort to right this injustice, I present to you DC Sounds' first annual “Albums That Are Likely Very Good But I Never Got Around To Listening To.”

Eventually I plan to give these records a spin and post you some reviews. In the meantime, leave your thoughts in the comments section. If your insights are good, I'll use them in an upcoming post and claim them as my own (plagiarism is the sincerest form of flattery).

TV On The Radio – Dear Science
I like this album just for the title. I imagine this album might contain songs like "Dear Science, Where the Hell is that Flying Car You Promised Us in 1963" but I wouldn't know because I haven't listened to it. If this album contains a song bitching about flying cars, they definitely should have made the list, and for that I apologize. As an aside, I think I’ll post a top 10 songs about science next week. Leave your ideas in the comments section so I can steal them.

Beck – Modern Guilt
There's no excuse, Beck. I'm sorry that I haven't listened to your album. It probably drips with angsty-genius tinged with whimsy, but I can't be certain.

Lil Wayne – Tha Carter III
Judging by the sales, I'm the only person on earth who doesn't have this album. Lil Wayne must be doing something right.

My Morning Jacket – Evil Urges
Everything else My Morning Jacket has given us is good, so I assume Evil Urges probably is too. But, I haven't spun it yet and assuming is not good enough for you. 

Lucinda Williams – Little Honey
Can't believe I haven't gotten to Lucinda yet. It's criminal.

Kings of Leon – Only by the Night
Probably great. Love the Kings. New Year's resolution: Listen to this album

No comments: